Daniel Arce-Bobadilla, who was a Costa Rican and USA citizen, was the inspiration for the creation of Proyecto Daniel. When he was diagnosed with cancer at age 15, he decided to build a hospital for adolescents in Costa Rica.
Daniel Arce-Bobadilla a Costa Rican and USA citizen, was the inspiration for the creation of Proyecto Daniel. He was diagnosed with cancer at age 15. When he was diagnosed, he realized that Costa Rican adolescents older than age 13 were treated with, and as, adults in adult hospitals with no spaces specifically for teenagers. He decided at age 15 that he would build a hospital for adolescents in Costa Rica; God had other plans and he passed away at age 19.
Proyecto Daniel was founded in 2010 by Daniel’s parents and it helps youngsters between ages 13-25 with any type of Cancer have a better quality of life. During these seven years it has impact the lives of more than 1000 adolescents and young adults with cancer and their families.
Proyecto Daniel knows that being diagnosed with cancer at any age is traumatic but is even more when you are an adolescent or young adult with may plans for the future. We also realize that the needs of this population are very different from the ones of children and adults.
Our want these youngsters to live full of hope and determined to fight for their lives. They might have cancer, but they like the same things that any healthy youngster likes. For Proyecto Daniel, it is very important to make them smile and help them stay positive during this process.
- Making visible the needs of adolescent and young adult cancer patients in Costa Rica
- Proyecto Daniel’s Rooms in Hospital San Juan de Dios -- 2012
- Proyecto Daniel’s Rooms in Hospital Mexico -- 2013
- Proyecto Daniel’s Rooms in Hospital Dr. Rafael Ángel Calderón Guardia -- 2017
- Helping this population to be treated according to their age, where education & recreations are our most import pillars.